By Rose Sutkowski, Publicity Chair, Constellation District
Constellation District Popcorn Kernel, Amy Giletto, coordinated Cub Pack 11’s fall popcorn fundraiser and under her leadership sold more than $17,000 in Trails End popcorn. Because of high energy and enthusiasm, Giletto helped the District exceed their goal by more than $5,000 in sales.
Take a look at these tips from Giletto for popcorn selling success:
- Planning is key when it comes to the fundraiser. Over the summer, work diligently to set up Show-n-Sell spots in high traffic areas to position the Pack for profitable sales. Organization and motivation are both essential in raising enough funds to discount Scout admissions and buy pack supplies.
- Have a popcorn kickoff party to provide quick and high-level information.
- Ask Scouts to sign up for Show-n-Sell slots, and create lots of excitement around the prizes they could earn. It’s also important to set both unit and individual goals.
- Keep communication going throughout the fundraiser to praise Scouts for successful Show-n-Sells, and keep families in the loop about how individuals are advancing to your goal and if there are any information updates they should know.
- Personalize some cool incentives for your unit because it makes selling more fun. For example, the top selling den in Constellation District will celebrate with a make-your-own-sundae party.
- Think about adding prizes that motivate your group of Scouts for reaching milestones with their sales.
- Ensure a smooth transition with your fundraisers each year by training up and coming kernels on how to perform the duties of the role.
Amy Giletto is a resource for those units who need guidance or want to increase their sales. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.